Palliative Care Staff Nurse
We are currently looking for a new Band 5 Staff Nurse to join our team. The post holder will provide specialist palliative care to patients within our Inpatient Unit located in St John's Wood.
About this role
We are currently looking for a new Band 5 Staff Nurse to join our team. The post holder will provide specialist palliative care to patients within our Inpatient Unit located in St John's Wood working as part of our multidisciplinary team, which includes doctors and nursing staff working alongside our social workers, physiotherapists, occupational and complementary therapists.
Patients are admitted to the 17 bedded Inpatient Unit for assessment, symptom control, end-of-life care, rehabilitation, respite care and medical interventions from a wide catchment area across Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, Camden, Islington, Hammersmith & Fulham, Brent and Barnet.
This role would ideally suit an experienced Palliative Care Nurse from either a Hospice or Hospital Background. You will have previously mentored staff and trained junior members of the team.
What are the key duties?
- To maintain continuous high standards of skilled nursing care and professional practice through evidence based practice.
- To promote a progressive attitude to the continual improvement of patient care through research and evidence based practice.
- To act as a role model and expert clinical practitioner.
- To supervise and teach both trained staff, health care assistants and student nurses.
- To assist the Ward Manager in all aspects of leadership and management of the hospice Inpatient Unit.
- To assist in the coordination of services provided by the inpatient unit, and to contribute to the day to day running of the service.
- To assist, where necessary, in the provision of other services provided by the hospice.
Am I the right person for this role?
- Experience at Band 5 or above in specialist palliative care or oncology
- Demonstrable practice that is evidence-based and up to date
- Experience of identifying and dealing with risks encountered within own practice
- Experience of supporting junior / less experienced staff
- Able to use assertive communication skills
- Able to conduct audits in objective and efficient manner