Senior Staff Nurse - Palliative Care
We are currently looking for a new Band 6 Senior Staff Nurse to join our team. The post holder will provide specialist palliative care to patients within our Inpatient Unit located in St John's Wood.
About this role
We are currently looking for a Band 6 Senior Staff Nurse to join our team. The post holder will provide specialist palliative care to patients within our Inpatient Unit located in St John's Wood working as part of our multidisciplinary team, which includes doctors and nursing staff working alongside our social workers, physiotherapists, occupational and complementary therapists.
Patients are admitted to the 17 bedded Inpatient Unit for assessment, symptom control, end-of-life care, rehabilitation, respite care and medical interventions from a wide catchment area across Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea, Camden, Islington, Hammersmith & Fulham, Brent and Barnet.
This role would ideally suit an experienced Palliative Care Nurse from either a Hospice or Hospital Background. You will have previously mentored staff and trained junior members of the team.
What are the key duties?
- To provide clinical leadership to a designated nursing team and ensure the provision of high quality nursing care.
- To maintain continuous high standards of skilled nursing care and professional practice through evidence based practice.
- To promote a progressive attitude to the continual improvement of patient care through research and evidence based practice.
- To act as a role model and expert clinical practitioner. To supervise and teach both trained staff, health care assistants and student nurses.
- To assist in the safe, effective and efficient management of the department within allocated resources. To recognise the need for personal flexibility within the unit to ensure all aspects of the services are managed safely and effectively.
- To undertake delegated responsibility for the department in the absence of the Ward Manager and Deputy Ward Manager.
- To assist the Ward Manager in all aspects of leadership and management of the hospice Inpatient Unit.
- To assist in the coordination of services provided by the inpatient unit, and to contribute to the day to day running of the service. To assist, where necessary, in the provision of other services provided by the hospice.
Am I the right person for this role?
- Experience at Band 5 or above in specialist palliative care or oncology
- Demonstrable practice that is evidence based and up to date
- Experience of working with teams, motivating and empowering them to deliver excellent standards of patient care
- Experience of identifying and dealing with risks encountered within own practice.
- Experience of supporting junior / less experienced staff to improve standards of patient care.
- Able to supports less experienced / junior staff to respond to feedback in positive manner setting objectives as required.
- Able to use professional knowledge and experience to influence decision making processes in order to improve outcomes for patients and staff.
- Able to use assertive communication skills to achieve collaborative solutions to challenging situations
- Able to conduct audits in objective and efficient manner.