Healthcare Assistant (Hospice@Home)
We are currently looking for a Healthcare Assistant (HCA) to join our team. The post holder will work alone in patient’s homes and will be responsible for the provision of their individual care and other duties as requested by the service.
About this role
We are looking for a flexible and motivated Healthcare Assistant to join our Hospice@Home team. The post holder will be working alone in patient’s homes (which may include nursing, residential homes or hostels) and will be responsible for the provision of their individual care and other duties as requested by the service. The Healthcare Assistant will work autonomously and be responsible for giving a quality of care. Care will be directed in the home by the supervising CNS/D/N.
Hospice@Home is one of the core services provided by St John’s Hospice and is expanding to fully meet the needs of patients with cancer and life-limiting illness who choose to be cared for and die at home. The service operates mainly in Westminster, Brent and Kensington and Chelsea Primary Care Trusts and aims to be a flexible and responsive service to meet incremental targets to increase the number of patients who receive the service.
What are the key duties?
- To have a basic understanding of the special nursing needs of patients requiring palliative care
- To assist in ensuring that the client is cared for in a safe and comfortable environment
- To assist in meeting all aspects of a client’s personal hygiene and toileting needs
- To assist with feeding/drinking when necessary
- To assist with moving/turning/mobilisation of the client, depending on what is most appropriate
- To assist with and be aware of any actions that may be necessary at the time of a client’s death
- To adhere to the Lone Worker policy of ringing in following a shift
- To have knowledge of all Hospital/Hospice@Home policies and procedures and adhere to them
- To maintain standards of care given to the client under the direction of the CNS/D/N
- To be able to listen, support and communicate effectively with clients and their family/friends
- To maintain an up to date record of all care given to a client during each shift
- To report to the Hospice@Home Coordinator on a daily basis and advise of any observed changes to the client’s condition
- Be aware of when it is appropriate to call out the GP/Other Health Care Professionals to a patients homes
- To report any adverse incidents, accidents, complaints to the Hospice@Home Coordinator and complete relevant documentation as necessary
Am I the right person for this role?
- NVQ Level 2 or higher qualification
- At least 12 months experience as a Healthcare Assistant in a hospital or other caring environment
- Ability to work without direct supervision within the bounds of the Healthcare Assistant role
- Awareness of Palliative Care
- Computer literate
- Flexibility to work internal rotation including nights and weekends